Friday, July 25, 2014

Naia

10"x10"  oil
Is she beautiful or what?  She is not my biological grandchild, but she is the daughter of my "almost daughter" so that makes Naia my "almost granddaughter."  Lucky me!  I also feel lucky to get to paint her.  I did the drawing below first because I have been really enjoying the process of drawing lately and it helps to get to know the subject a little better.  I then did the painting.  Since the reference photo was black and white, I had to make up the colors.  Rather than studying a bunch of other photos of her, I decided to just let the painting tell me what colors to use.  It looked rather bland to me (except the startling yellow jumper) until I mixed a little batch of paint with Rembrandt transparent red oxide and some cad yellow and white and got the punch I needed.  I love that color!  I also added purple to her hair which I think worked well.  It is hard to tell in this photo, but the purple just kind of works with the brown.  Anyway, I have been working so hard to get ready for an upcoming show (mostly framing, etc.) that it is so fun to do a painting I am pleased with.  I really hope her mom loves it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...