Sunday, January 28, 2018

Figuratively Speaking - Grandma

8"x10"
This was painted from a photo taken 42 years ago.  I can easily pull up that number because it was an important year for me.  The baby is my oldest son, my first born.  It was taken at Thanksgiving so he was 6 weeks old.  He was a big baby, well over 9 pounds.  We make them big in our family.  The lady in the photo is his grandmother.  What a beautiful lady she was.  She loved kids and nature and was truly kind.  I am writing this about her in past tense because she just passed.  Painting this was good therapy, but hard to do.  I really wanted to capture her likeness and her personality.  That Thanksgiving was both unusual and special.  We were hippies.  My son was born at home.  We hosted my husband's family and many of them came, including his Uncle Chuck and his 3 boys, and his sisters.  We were not shy about our hippy ways including being vegetarian and smoking pot.  The family was amazingly cool about the whole thing.  We had a wonderful time and I really remember the closeness I felt with his family and all our hippy friends who came to celebrate with us.  We will miss you Joan.  Thank you for loving my children, your grandchildren and your great grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...