Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Poppies

6"x6" oil
I have been traveling for a couple of weeks.  Now I am home and back to painting, so I warmed up with these little poppies.  It is hard to jump back in with confidence, but that is what is necessary.  I made a fun discovery when I got back.  I had not scraped my palette before I left and was getting ready to do that.  I cover my paints with little cups called "Paint Savers."  A while ago I had glued pieces of felt to the inside of them and applied a drop of clove oil to keep the paints soft between sessions.  When I took off the covers after about 2 1/2 weeks of them sitting, the paint was still fresh...not even glooey.  It is important not to mix clove oil with the paint, or even get it on the paint brush, because it will not allow the paint to dry on the canvas or panels, but the fumes will keep the paint soft for at least 2 1/2 weeks...so that is cool!  I don't expect to have any issues with the painting drying, but time will tell.  Also it is important not to use silicone or a
glue gun to adhere them because the clove oil will basically melt the glue, but I used Elmer's wood glue and that worked fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...