Thursday, February 28, 2019

A Snow Day 8”x8” acrylic

Who doesn’t remember the thrill of a snow day, especially if it meant not having to go to school and getting to play all day until your clothes were dripping wet and your lips blue?  My grandkids in New Jersey had a snow day.  It. Is a bit different for them because they are home schooled by my very talented and educated daughter.  Never-the-less, it meant a change of pace and some great outdoor fun.  Of course everything they do is somehow tied to their education so they did a project based on the work of Ezra Jack Keats and his book, “The Snowy Day.”  If you are unfamiliar with him, he is worth checking out.  I talked with the kids that day and after explaining their projects, they  challenged me to do a painting inspired by the same book.  Keats cleverly uses collage in his work, which I did not do.  Instead I used the photo they sent me of them expressing their joy in the snow, chose a simple palette of blue, red and white, painted flat shapes on a black background and called it done.  It is different from what I usually do, and I loved the challenge and the outcome. Today is also a snowy day here in Vermont, with a brilliant sunshiny blue sky.  The snow is very sparkly and although it is cold, it feels like a great day to play in the snow, even for all-grown-up artists!  Go Figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...