Monday, March 7, 2011

Lincoln 8x10 acrylic #240

This was a Michael Naples challenge on Daily Paintworks. The idea was to do a gray value portrait from his famous photo using just ultramarine blue, burnt umber and titanium white. It is a really good exercise, but the second part was particularly difficult. After doing this, he suggested doing it in color from the black and white photo. I will post my results tomorrow. I used acrylic and canvas board for this. I used to always paint with acrylics but since I have been using oil, the fast drying factor of acrylics really bugs me!

2 comments:

  1. He needs more shine to the forehead and cheekbones. A little of Mona Lisa's smile wouldn't hurt either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can mess around with oil for quite a while and it stays wet. I love that about it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...