Sunday, January 2, 2011

Three Scoops 5"x7" acrylic #175


As I was contemplating a title for this I thought of a lot of things. I really like the story...the real story or the one it tells to whomever is looking at it. That's why I like painting people doing things. Landscapes elicit a feeling about place, still life paintings give a sense of atmosphere of a person's life and I guess both will tell an abstract story, but actual people doing things always tell a story. Portraits are difficult because they are suppose to tell a story with someone looking at a viewer, not doing natural things. Although these ladies are sharing what could be an intimate moment of fun, they look isolated in their shared experience. The "mother" looks like she has a lot on her mind and maybe is thinking about what needs to done next, or maybe she has some really big worries. I really like the little curled up "womb like" posture of the littlest girl on the bottom step. I suspect the mother is going to drop her cone in a trash can any minute now. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I agree there's a narrative almost always in paintings of people in action. And yes, each individual in your group seems isolated from the rest... even when enjoying ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...