Friday, April 12, 2013

A Pretend Dragon 5"x7" oil

This painting was a challenge for me for a lot of reasons.  I painted it from a photo that had 2 main values, predominately dark against bright white.  The colors were also a challenge because the house is a pale yellow and their clothes were black and gray (common colors for ski clothes).  My friend was going through some really tough medical issues at the time.  Her daughter encouraged her to put on her ski clothes and "pose" and just "pretend," hence the title.  Because she was feeling poorly at the time, the photo didn't reflect her beautiful spirit.  She is one of those people who sparkles and you hardly notice her actual features because her personality is what you see.  She is an athlete and a real optimist and all around fun, real person.  These are qualities you have to interpret when doing a portrait.  Her dog, Dragon, passed on since the photo was taken so this painting is dedicated to him.  I think a dragon is a great symbol of strength and power and those are the qualities that helped my friend Kim get through her trials. It is so encouraging to see her active, happy and rosy cheeked again! I need to tweak a few things, but it is mostly done.
SOLD
To sign up for my newsletter go here
To "like" my fanpage go here
To go to my website click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...