Friday, December 3, 2010

Sketch 1 for Commission pastel 5"x7" #145


Yesterday Qiang Huang (qiang-huang.blogspot.com) said, "....if you can paint shapes, you can paint anything." I agree completely, but boy you better get those shapes right, especially if you are doing a portrait. This is the first sketch in preparation for an important portrait. I have one photo, have not met him, and will not have the opportunity to meet him. It is a real challenge, and I don't usually like doing portraits of smiling faces, but I can't really make up his features....I am not that clever. I am hoping that by doing many sketches of him I will get to know his face and hopefully pick up on his personality through the process, before I do the finished portrait. Also, today "Overdressed" went swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...