Saturday, January 28, 2017

Figuratively Speaking - Cheekiness

I love this cheeky fellow.  He is much taller and can read today, but he is still cheeky. Cheeky:  impudent in an endearing way.  That is the definition I choose to associate with that word.  My son-in-law is from England.  His native vocabulary has worked its way into our family speech and "cheeky" is one of my favorites.  My husband likes the phrase "taking a lie down."  Carl is a bit phlegmatic (cool, composed, calm, and a bit laid back).  I understand that the Prime Minister of England, Theresa May, is visiting the US president today. I wonder what phrases attributed to their respective nationalities and personalities, were being tossed about.  I would like to have been a fly on the wall in that discussion.  That phrase, "fly on the wall" apparently is an American invention from the 1920's.  So back to "cheeky."    It comes from the word "cheek" with a definition of "insolence".  I think "cheeky" is more "tongue in cheek" then insolence.  By the way, that is a phrase of British origin.  I clearly have too much time on my hands to be writing about this.  Bringing it back around to politics, someone who really looked adorable when he was being cheeky was the president who recently passed the mantle ( I won't go into that phrase) .  Here he is, tongue in cheek
....Go Figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...