Sunday, January 22, 2017

Figuratively Speaking - Meditation and Boredom

Meditation is a good thing.  I heard someone say recently that if you can't meditate for 20 minutes then you need to meditate for an hour.  I know people who say they can't meditate or do quiet exercises like yoga because their minds are going too fast.  They say it like it is a badge of honor, like having a mind speeding out of control is a positive thing.  We are all made a bit differently so what do I know?  I cut my finger kind of seriously and can't get in the pool until it heals so instead I have been walking on the treadmill.  Now I know the painful boredom of repetitious walking without going anywhere.  Some people love it, I guess because of the endorphins released when they start to sweat, or something along those lines.  I tried listening to music, watching a video, reading, but honestly, it was still a really mind numbing exercise for me.  I couldn't get into the "now" of it.  I just wanted to escape.  I do like yoga, meditation and quietly painting in my studio.  I can sit by the creek and write or just inhale the visual beauty around me, and I know the elegance of being really present.  However, the treadmill (aptly named) is my undoing.  How can I feel critical or superior about someone saying they can't slow their mind down, or don't even want to, when I am overcome with the nothingness of the treadmill?  Opportunities for humility are to be found everywhere!  Go figure....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...